Monday, December 1, 2014

Mini Light Maker

Remember that LED strip that Maclin, Victor, and I used last week? Well, I have one of the LEDs from it.

When we were setting it up, it had a nasty habit of cutting out due to finicky  connects. Maclin did rig it up to a drill battery, so I guess that's understandable. Eventually, it tore out one of the contacts, and so Maclin just chopped off that last LED and hooked up the next fresh one.

And gave me that LED for pictures. Normally, you don't really get a good look at LEDs. They blind you for one, but they just aren't something you can really inspect. When you do see them, they just look like little yellow boxes, right? Not that interesting.

But with a giant macro lens, that changes a whole lot.

I set up the ol' macro set up, the same as it always is. I have about 7 posts on it, so it's not too hard to find if you want to look back.

I shot at f/6.3 to try to get a little bit out of the incredibly small depth of field that this set up provides. I can't stop down that much, or you can start to visibly see the size of the aperture. The lens in front of the lens only projects light in a small circle, so stopping down cuts out that limited light, and you get massive vignetting.

From there, I just watched my histogram while adjusting the strobe until I got a good exposure.  Just when it touches the right side of the histogram, you're getting enough light. Back it off a tad to be safe, don't want to clip any highlights.

So in editing, I didn't have to do any tonal adjustments in Lr! I did a little clarity, but not much... A short conversion to b/w and a 1/1 crop later, and it's all done! Super easy and quick.

LEDs are pretty interesting, I have to say.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment