Friday, December 19, 2014

Light Beam

After a few too many hours playing Halo tonight, Victor and I went to take a picture of the epic light I have. It's a Survivor LED brand light, and it's just ridiculously bright. It was really rainy/lost of moisture in the air tonight, so the light beam from the flash light was pretty epic.

We wanted to do a bit of a product shot for it, I had the idea of using the light beam to light up the Survivor LED logo floating in the sky. Victor would be in the lower right with the flash light, pointing  it at a diagonal to the upper left. The light beam would hit the logo, and "illuminate it."

The setting were similar to what I'd use for a star picture. 30s, f/3.5, and ISO1600. It's really dark out, and the beam isn't that right, so the camera needs to capture as much light as possible. There's a lot of noise, but you have to do what you have to do.

In Lr, I brightened things up quite a bit, since they were very dark even with that long exposure. I did a local adjustment over Victor, to try to get him to stand out a bit more from the background. Then, since the noise was just getting too much, I converted to b/w. Color wasn't working.

In Ps, I put in the logo that I found on line. The first thing to do is position it. I put it quite large, right on the tree line. Next, I made a new layer with a clipping mask so that it would only effect the layer below it, which would be the logo. On this layer, I painted white where the beam hit ht logo.That's kind of the highlights. I used a big, soft blush with a low flow, so that I could really slowly build it up.

Next, I went into layer styles and did a bevel and emboss on the logo. This gave it more highlights and shadows, like there was actually light hitting it. Not perfect, since it's all from the same angle, and to be right the highlights would shift depending how far out they were from where the light hit.

Finally, I masked out the tree line by using luminosity masks. I selected the darks, then used a mask to paint in those areas black on the logo, so it kind of looks like the logo is behind the trees. To finish it off, I added some noise to the logo to make it blend better.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment