Friday, December 26, 2014

Ferry Cam

For Christmas, I got a Lens Baby Spark. It's a specialty lens, designed to be incredibly soft and have weird focusing effects. It's a cheap lens, with cheap construction, but that's kind of the point of it. You have a manual move the front of the lens to focus, it even tilts and all that so you can do very interesting focus effects with it. It's really really soft on the sides, with a lot of vignetting. Not all pictures work really well with it, but some look amazing.

Today, my family went to Canada. We're staying on the west shore of Vancouver Island for the next couple days, hopefully seeing some awesome beaches and weather here. However, today was mostly just travel. The Spark is an awesome travel lens. Just set the camera to Av mode and about ISO800 and shoot away. There's no auto features on the lens, not even an adjustable aperture.

We ate in some Canadian equivalent of Olive Garden or something for lunch, and they had the coolest lamps. For pictures I mean... The shades had a really cool marble patten on them, with thick bands of black moving in waves around them. I had to use live view and hold the camera way up to get the shot I wanted. The shade was small, so I wanted to shoot strait on and get the bands as a 2D shape. All about form and texture on this one.

As I said, I shot in Av mode at ISO800. I think the Spark is set to f/8, and the shutter was 1/400 for this one. I could have shot at a lower ISO, but whatever.

Editing was simple. Convert to b/w, up the whites, lower the highlights. This brought more detail into the highlights, but also increased the contrast up. I also touched the clarity up just a little bit. Not much. That's all.



See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment