Friday, January 31, 2014

Super Odd Experiment

So today is a short post. Big day tomorrow so I thought I'd try something short and sweet for today.


This is not a photo composite. This is obviously enhanced in post, but the geometry is out of the camera.

The set up for this is super simple. I took my big reflector, which is translucent white, and put it in between myself and the camera. Behind me, I put a bare strobe. The image you see is the shadow cast on the white reflector.

This was inspired by old techniques of tracing profiles of people projected in much the same fashion as I described above. The difference was that candle light was used instead of a strobe. It's also the same principle as shadow puppet shows. The point is, it's a super old technique that still applies today.

I digress, back to the photo at hand. I shot at f2.2, 1/200, and ISO100. Same reasons as always. Except for that I didn't actually need any depth of field because the image was projected on one plane.

Once I got it into Lr, I raised the contrast and clarity a bunch, and also converted the image to grayscale. Other than that I did nothing.

As promised, this is a short post. Any questions, feel free to comment. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment