Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Photo Pack of the Day

So I'm selling a photo pack that I bought this fall and didn't end up using. I really like it except for one thing...it can't carry a tripod worth crap a cent. I would definitely keep it if I could carry say a tripod and a light stand but nope....it's gotta go.

This one turned out really well in camera and I barely did any post on it at all. I used big light sources and white walls to further the soft lighting on the pack.

Here's the photo...

 And here's the set up...



The picture is pretty self explanatory as to the lighting set up. The 560 on the left is at 1/32 +.3 and the 560 on the right (that has a glow/bulb/white cap thingy on it) is at 1/64 power. At low apertures you really don't need a lot of power. Especially since the lights were so close tot he pack. It's hard to see, but on the right leaned against the wall is a white mat board to reflect light from both strobes. The key light in this is the 560 on the left in a soft box, and the other 560 is acting as a fill, kicker, and set light at the same time. My film teacher would hate me for doing that....supposed to separate lights for each. Why that is is beyond me, it seems like you'd want to get the most out of your lights, right?

Camera settings areeee: 1/125, f4, ISO 160. 50mm lens on a 7D. The ISO is at 160 because I had a good exposer at f3.2 at ISO 100 but I wanted more depth of field so I stopped down to f4 and bumped the ISO up a bit to compensate. Remember, shutter speed doesn't effect strobe exposer at all, only the the ambient light. 

In Lr I up'ed the clarity a bit, put a slight vignette on it, and I think that was it. Like I said it looked good in camera. This is what I want to get to with all my shots, get it right in camera and not do any post if I can help it. 

Anywho, off to read the latest issue of American Photo. See you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment